Search This Blog

Saturday 31 August 2013

Crimson Rose

     I've just finished reviewing the latest novel in the Kit Marlowe series by M.J. Trow - no spoilers, I promise but I wanted to share my enthusiasm for this and other books in the series.  They are set at the time when dark events were happening in Tudor England and this one begins with a sudden death at the premiere of Marlowe's Tamburlaine.  Crime was rife and life was cheap (sorry about the clichés) during this period and events become more sinister still when Walsingham, Elizabeth's spymaster, takes an interest.  Those who know a little about the short but remarkable life of Christopher Marlowe will find this a fascinating read.  Do try it, and others in the series if you haven't yet done so.

     Mei Trow's writing covers a huge range from historical & recent true crime, historical biography, and other historical crime fiction (have you discovered Inspector Lestrade of Victorian Scotland Yard yet?) to my own personal favourites, the series of crime novels featuring the wonderful Peter Maxwell, head of history and accidental detector into local crimes.  I've worked in various secondary schools over the last 25 years and, believe me, every staff room has its own Mr Maxwell, saviour of disenfranchised children, supporter of unhappy staff, supporter of justice and protector of the vulnerable.  I have a feeling that Peter Maxwell may have a touch of the autobiographical about him...

No comments:

Post a Comment