Search This Blog

Saturday 21 September 2013

A book of two halves

Cry of the Children is the latest novel in the police procedural Lambert & Hook series by J.M. Gregson and is the first of this long series which I have read.  Gregson is an author new to me and as a lover of UK procedurals I was pleased to be given the opportunity to read and review.  However I have to admit that it didn't please me as much as I had hoped.

I'll try to avoid spoilers but it starts with a classic scenario: every parent's nightmare, a missing child.  That is well described and like any parent whose child has disappeared from sight, however briefly, I could identify with the heart-jolting nightmare.  The set up was therefore a good one and well written with a building of tension and interesting protagonists, both victims and police personnel.

The difficulties for me in suspending disbelief came for me as the situation developed.  The police identified five possible suspects: none had plausible alibis, all seemed to have personality flaws and something to hide from the investigating officers and lots of red herrings were flung and though the crime was solved (and another criminal was apprehended in the course of the action) I felt that the set-up of these suspects was clumsily and implausibly handled.

No comments:

Post a Comment